It’s cold here in Chicago and I all want is a super creamy maca hot chocolate that will keep me warm and balance my hormones.
Sadly, I can’t go to my local coffee shop or even health food store to buy a cup of sugar-free, super creamy maca hot chocolate. Totes fine because I can whip up a recipe right in the comforts of my own home. So here we are loves. For all the wellness warriors that want to indulge in hot chocolate this winter season, I’ve got a maca hot chocolate recipe for you to try. It’s a simple recipe made with maca powder, cashew milk, cashew butter, cacao powder and stevia.
Traditional hot chocolate is full of sugar and artificial sweeteners. That’s not helping to create long lasting energy and healthy hormones. Ready for a super creamy and delicious hot chocolate that will make you feel fantastic? I think you are 🙂
Benefits of Maca Powder
Maca has a unique mild nutty flavor. It doesn’t taste that great on its own, but it blends super well with chocolate and smoothies. “Maca stimulates and nourishes the hypothalamus and pituitary glands which are the “master glands” of the body. These glands actually regulate the other glands, so when in balance they can bring balance to the adrenal, thyroid, pancreas, ovarian and testicular glands.” – Natural News
- It’s rich mineral profile of zinc, iron and essential fatty acids makes this a power aphrodisiac for increasing sexual desire and balancing hormones
- Powerful for regulating menstrual cycle or bringing menstrual period back after long term use of birth control
- Helps maintain proper adrenal health
- Improves skin and hair
- Boosts fertility in both men and women
- *Don’t consume Maca if pregnant. You should always consult your primary care practitioner for nutritional consulting.
Here’s the thing. You’ve gotta pick the right kind of maca powder. Not all powders are created equal. I’ve started to using gelatinized maca powder instead of raw maca powder. Why? Because the starch and anti-nutrients (found in raw maca powder) are removed to make it more bioavailable for increased absorption.
Benefits of Cacao
We all know that chocolate in small doses is healthy for us 😉 So let’s uncover some of the most amazing benefits of chocolate powder. I love cacao powder from Bulletproof because it is sourced in ways that minimizes toxins and avoids contamination from heavy metals and fungi.
Cacao is not the same as cocoa. What? Cocoa (co-co) is created when raw cacao has been roasted at high temperatures resulting in changes to the chemical nature of the bean. Raw cacao is actually better because it has higher amounts of antioxidants and all nutrients stay intact.
- Releases a whole bunch of happy brain chemicals like anandamide, endorphins, phenylethylamine, and serotonin
- Cacao is rich in cardiovascular benefits such as lowering of blood pressure, improving vascular function and glucose metabolism, and reducing platelet aggregation and adhesion.
- Cacao inhibits the release of the stress hormone cortisol
- Cacao is also anti-inflammatory 🙂
Benefits of Cashews
Why cashew? I think cashew butter tastes amazing! Feel free to swap out cashew nut milk and cashew butter with almond milk and raw almond butter. But of course then this wouldn’t be a creamy cashew maca hot chocolate. But hey! Adjust this recipe to your own tastebuds. 😉 Benefits of cashews….
- Rich in vitamins and minerals like Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, C, E, K, zinc, copper, manganese, phosphorous, and magnesium
- Rich in healthy unsaturated fats that have shown to lower LDL cholesterol levels
- Great source of zinc to help support the immune system
- Plus they’ll make any hot chocolate recipe into a creamy and delicious one
You should always refrigerate your cashew butter as soon as it’s opened. This helps maintain freshness and avoids harmful bacteria growth.
Cheers to health and happiness! Drink this creamy and delicious maca hot chocolate for breakfast, bring along in a thermos to work, or enjoy before bedtime. Anytime is a good time for hot chocolate.
- 1 cup organic cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon organic creamy cashew butter
- 1 teaspoon raw organic maca powder
- 1 tablespoon raw cocoa powder
- Stevia for sweetness *adjust to your own desired sweetness
- Begin to warm cashew milk in medium pot on the stove
- Add in cocoa powder and maca powder
- Do not boil the milk
- Stir frequently
- Once milk is hot (not boiling), remove from stove and immediately pour into blender where you’ll then add stevia and cashew butter
- Blend until smooth and the cashew butter has melted
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy